Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Proper Elevator Etiquette

 Sooooooo........on top of the ever annoying "blocking the intersection" pet peeve of mine, I also am becoming more and more irked with people's lack of courtesy in terms of elevators! It often reminds me of when I was coaching at Auburn and the girls would always load the bus for away games from the front to the back. SERIOUSLY?!?!? So it's like this: If someone (me) is on an elevator and the doors open, let someone (me) get off before you try to get on!!!! In a place of so called professional adults, you'd think this would even be an issue. But no...it is....everyday! Just a few ideas as to how we could fix this:
1. Take your eyes off your Blackberry to see if in fact someone is on the elevator.
2. Don't stand with your nose practically touching the door waiting on said elevator.
3. Put in to practice the 3 second rule....don't even start the forward motion until you can count to 3!
4.  Pick a side....if you going to stand right in front of the doors, there's going to be a long stand off....I'm not gettin off and you sure as hell ain't gettin on!

 I would like to give everyone I meet the benefit of the doubt and think some where along the way their mom taught them the meaning of "common courtesy", but to tell you the truth, I'm starting to doubt that. And it seriously surprises me that every time those elevator doors open and I'm standing there, that it's a HUGE surprise to the inconsiderate child standing on the other side....like it's Halloween and I'm the monster in the Haunted House! People, I'm not hiding...I'm standing smack down in the middle of the elevator where you can't help but see me! I mean in a place of business the size of Eli Lilly (I'm talking thousands!) the odds are really against the person waiting on the elevator that there IS NOT going to be someone getting off! After 6 months of working there too you might think I would get use to running into people when I have the "right away", but obviously I'm not. In the grand scheme of things, I know this all comes back to America getting lazier and lazier! Please, next time you use an elevator, think about my tips for proper elevator etiquette!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment