Wednesday, April 20, 2011

April showers BETTER bring May flowers.....

 Had a little scare last night. The storm that hit the Springfield area yesterday, hit Indy last night about 9:30. First, it rained and stormed all day yesterday!! I had volleyball last night and walking in to the Y it was surprisingly warm, not cool like after most rain storms. After volleyball, I headed home. I called home on the way to talk to Seth, since he broke his phone!! I pulled into my parking lot and was still talking to him, so I just sat in my car door open, car off, enjoying the nice weather.  As I'm talking to him, 2 kids walked up to my car and asked to use my phone (as I'm on it, mind you). I looked at the kid who asked and said in a some what apologetic way (why I don't know, maybe because it was late at night and I didn't want to get robbed......again!).....No. About that same time, Seth, on the other end of the phone says, "No what?". I waited a second till the guys walked far enough away as to where they couldn't hear me and told Seth what happened. I guess he couldn't believe, after my apartment already got broken into, that I was still living there. (I mean I can't really either, but it is what it is) Anyway, he said something to the effect that I needed to go inside and in order to do that and carry all my stuff inside, I got off the phone with him.
 Poor Quincey didn't get a very long time outside late last night (which is fine) because the same kids started walking back towards the apartments so we went (quickly) back inside. After watching a little TV and getting ready for bed, I headed towards the only place I think about all day: My pillow! Not 10 minutes after I had been laying there, the tornado sirens went off. I got up to look outside, surprised that it wasn't even raining. Right about the time I was turning around to call Nate, he was calling me! See, I don't have Internet or cable or anyway really to look at the weather so of course he's my only access to the outside world....literally. The sirens only stayed on for a couple minutes...in fact we were still on the phone when both of ours turned off. At that moment I think that's the first time I was ever scared for a tornado. When I was little, when most people were heading to their basements, we headed outside!! Silly, I know......I guess since we knew if we ever NEEDED to go to the basement, we could. But I'm living in an apartment....on the second floor. Where the heck would I go?!?!? I thought about packing up Quincey and heading to Nate's, but I didn't want to get caught driving in it either! So I stuck it out. Got off the phone with Nate and laid back down. About 10 minutes after that the wind started blowing really bad!!! In a fit of panic (maybe that my window would blow in and shatter all over my bed??) I called Nate back. He said that our warning was only for a thunder storm and not to worry, but if I wanted to come over I could. No, no....I'm a big girl. I grew up in the country. Storms don't scare me. THEN the rain started. AND the thunder.....and the lighting almost so often you'd thought I'd left the bedroom light on. Well, needless to say....Quincey slept with me last night. And I did in fact survive!

No comments:

Post a Comment